Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Rabbits on the Prowl



There are times when I want to laugh and dance and forget the problems of the twenty first century. That feeling surged over me when I saw the rabbits in this photo. They are my new slippers. They came as a pair but as you can see they are not alike which only makes them more endearing.

We need some nonsense in our lives. There’s so much to worry about, horror to listen to and disaster to contemplate that I can feel myself weighed down by it.

These ridiculous rabbits progress around my house on my feet. Their ears flap in different directions and two of the paws make a little thudding noise as they connect with the floor. No one else sees these animals on their evening journeys, except me and my cat S. I laugh out loud as look down at them. I don’t want to endow them with animistic qualities but they appear to have a personality and soul of their own. I stroke them and smile at them and I’m careful in the kitchen not to splash them. S watches them pass and I can see her allowing her mind to drift back to the days when she would have pounced on a flip flopping ear and killed it off. She occasionally raises a paw if they get too close but rousing herself to interfere with them is too much trouble.

The grey rabbits will have a short life. They are aging already and I have had to do repairs to their outer skin. Their life at my place has given lightness to the atmosphere and they will be remembered with love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chuckle. They are both cute and entirely outrageous. I would love to see you answering the door to a rubbish disposal squad in them. Yes, I'm trying to tackle that too. Take goods out of unnecessary cardboard or plastic containers, and leave them with the shop. Put assorted lemons, apples and tomatoes loose in shop's basket rather than plastic bags. Take my own bag for easily carried things. Save papers, bottles and big cardboard items for recycling once a week. Shocked three girls sneaking many bags of assorted household rubbish into the communal bins for our flats on Friday night. Called them 'fly tippers', and stormed down there in my red jog bottoms and raincoat to close the lids after them. Aaaagh. Vi