Sunday, February 24, 2008

Merlot and a cork not a screw top

I wrote some time back about finding a bottle of with a cork after months of grabbing and twisting a screw to. See blog here.

This weekend I have had a pure hedonistic experience with wine and a cork. I was given two special bottles of red wine. Katnook Estate Coonawarra Merlot 2005 and a Shiraz Bishop by Ben Glaetzer Barossa Valley. Both these bottles have corks.

This Saturday seemed the time to celebrate by opening one of them. I have a good temp job that will bring money in for the next couple of weeks, the drive onto my property is scheduled to start on Monday morning and a friend from an earlier life contacted me.

I deliberated and chose the merlot.

Since my last cork problem I bought a new cork screw that I have never had to use. Life is full of grab and twist.

The cork screw went in like a dream and cork came out with a satisfying pop and the beautiful ruby coloured wine glowed in my crystal glass. It is the best wine I have drunk in a long time. I sipped and purred and munched on a Harro’s special pizza. Life was very good.

What is it after a little too much red wine (I couldn’t resist that extra glass) that makes us crave something sweet? For me it was a piece of Safeway’s Rocky Road Slice. Simple things can make us very happy and contented.

No comments: