Monday, March 31, 2008

Red Delicious Apples and Babybel Cheese

Crisp Red Delicious apples and Babybel cheese is the best combination.

This picture shows the little wheels of Babybel cheese that can be bought in a net bag of about six wheels. Don’t buy these the taste isn’t right! Look a bit further in the supermarket or the Deli and find the bigger wheel – about 4 inches in diameter.

Red Delicious apples have made an appearance in my local supermarket. Looking at them in all their red glowing beauty I remembered the combination.

Some taste combinations are to die for. This may not be quite as good as that but to me it is one of the best simple combinations around. You only need the apple and the cheese.

My advice is to keep the apples in the fridge once you have got them home because once they have gone soft they are not nice. They go soft very quickly.


Give this combination a try after dinner one night this week and see if you agree with me.

As I wrote this I wondered what wine would add something to the taste. I haven't experimented with that, yet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm being a spoilsport but I wouldn't eat apple at all after a meal, let alone with a soapy cheese like Baby Bel. The point is, fruit digests quickly (about half an hour) when eaten alone but in combination with protein (which takes four hours or more to digest), it ferments.

Remember that rather fine tree tomato wine you made (I dropped a tea-towel in it, once, but it had no apparent ill effects). If you must eat this kind of combination, that spritzy rose of yours would have gone rather well. The orange muscat dessert wine that Brown's of Victoria do would be nice, and Campbells Tokay, Rutherglen, might be worth trying. Remember "the days of Tokay!" Armagnac also comes to mind.

Extending the brief a bit, I discovered a sparkling pear drink with deep caramel depths to it, recently: Poire Granit from Eric Bordelet, Charchigne, France. It's just 3% by vol. so quaffable when driving.

Another useful wine for the same reason, as well as being a remarkably good 'wine' in its own right, is Barossa Valley's Two Hands 'Brilliant Disguise', a semi sparkling, partially fermented grape must, just 6.5% by vol. They say that of this White Frontignac because it's a 'fashion victim' of EU rulings: www.twohandswines.com

Enjoy!

Em said...

I can see there may be a digestive problem with eating cheese and apple together although I have never noticed a problem. Celery and cheese is a great combination too but I can see the same problem may arise.
Tokay! I should buy some to try. I haven't drunk it in years.

Anonymous said...

Cheese and celery is just fine. It's fruit with protein that's the problem.