Monday, March 17, 2008

Thoughts on International Women's Day


I was in a gym class on International Women’s Day. My mind sometimes wanders at the gym especially when I’m doing repetitive exercises. It wandered that day but not very far. It stayed on gyms and exercise.

I have been going to a body combat class at the gym for the last few months. Initially I was a bit doubtful of my ability to tackle something so full on but I was persuaded to try it by one of my favourite instructors.

Of course I didn’t really start this energetic class from scratch because I have been attending a gym in one way or another for the last 10 years. I am reasonably supple and reasonably fit so the constant movement in the body combat class was something I could struggle through.

There’s not a lot of time in the body combat class for reflection because you have to keep your mind on what you’re doing. But as I kicked and punched the air I reflected on how inappropriate this would have been in my youth.

When I was at school young ladies didn’t show this sort of aggression.

We played games such as netball and tennis and we did forward rolls and balanced on a Swedish bench.

Young ladies didn’t punch. We simpered. We didn’t kick. We kept our knees close together.

It’s good to reflect on how women have moved on and how times have changed to allow us to explore and experience as much physical prowess as we desire.

I love being able to kick and punch and have this element of physical control. I’m glad I have had the opportunity to give it a go. Monday gym nights are one of the highlights of my week



Something like this - It's good to have a vision.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the OLED, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://oled-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.