Sunday, June 29, 2008

Un Secret and eating at the Shakahari Cafe

While I was changing the ambience in my house I had hours to kill before I could go home again and walk on the floors. As it is mid-winter here I took myself off to the pictures. I saw Un Secret at the Nova Movie house in Carlton. It began at 10.30 -such a good time for those redecorating.

I have read and heard good reports of Un Secret but I found it hard to follow the shifts in time from past, present and future. At the beginning the story was engaging with the suggestion of a family mystery. At the end when the mystery was disclosed it fell flat with me. I also found it hard to understand the mother who took an action that was to ensure not only her death but her son’s as well.

I came out from the movie into a cold drizzle. A phone message said. “The floor isn’t dry yet”. So I trotted off to Faraday Street and the Shakahari Vegetarian Restaurant.

It is the best Vegetarian Restaurant I have been to and it is an institution in Melbourne.

The gas-log-fire was going and the room was cozy and I was lucky to grab a seat by the fire as it was vacated by an early eater.

The menu is interesting and I ordered ‘Croquettes Fululu’ – I have had them before which makes me very boring. Next time I’m there I am going to go for the ‘Stay Legend’
They also have the most stunning dessert ‘Black Rice and Sago Pudding’ It is a dark grey colour which could be a bit off-putting but the taste is to die for. I washed my meal down with an Organic Sauvignon Blac from Richmond in New Zealand. For an organic wine it was fine at the price of something like $7.50 per glass.

If you are our dining out give the Shakarahri a go. http://www.shakahari.com.au/

You don’t have to be a vegetarian to enjoy the food. The menu is labeled for vegans and if the dish is gluten free.

No comments: