Monday, July 23, 2007

Weekend Life


A Prahran balcony cat on duty.
On Sundays R and I plan to make the 9.00 Gym class. We both worked this Saturday and I was very pleased when the phone rang at 8.00am. I knew we wouldn’t be going. And don’t say I could’ve gone by myself. R told me the temperature was two degrees and a damp mist hung over my house. The Sunday paper was lying on the path and the gas heater pumped away..........

The newspapers are making the job of Property Management harder. They are full of articles about the tight rental market. According to an article written last week, properties are in such demand, prospective tenants are making offers well above the asking price and people are becoming homeless because they can’t find anywhere to rent

If you had been with me while I did eight opens this weekend you would have written a different story. In the middle where we mainly operate there is no pressure. The cheapest place on my list on Saturday was a large two-bedroom unit in a rather dodgy block for $310.00 per week. There were four groups through it and only one group took applications.

Of the eight properties I opened two didn’t have a single visitor and three only had one.

The problem is to tell the owners that their properties are not getting the interest we would expect and we should consider lowering the rent. They’ve been reading about rising demand and rising rents and lack of available rental properties and think we must be doing something wrong. What's wrong with their property when every other property is racing out the door with half a dozen people chasing it.

I had an unusual experience. I arrived at a three-bedroom unit in a quiet block in a quiet street in Armadale. Three young men were lounging outside waiting for me. I had the usual bunch of keys and as always it is the last key that opens the door. This block shows individuality by having the unit number hidden behind the screen door so it’s only visible when the door is open. I ploughed up the stairs with the boys behind me. We studied the doors.
“Excuse me,” said one in a polite voice. “I think seven is on the ground floor” We ploughed down the stairs. He was right and I went through all the keys again.

They spent a while looking around, then took application forms and headed out. One popped back,
“Excuse me. Are you here for much longer?”
“A few more minutes”
“Would you like us to wait so you’re not on your own? We’re not in a hurry. We could do that.”
I thanked him and said I was fine.
“Are you sure? It’s no trouble for us.”
When I did leave he and his mates were on the corner. It occurred to me that I had been in the unit for sometime with just the three of them. Interesting. What is risk? And so much for the hectic rental market.

The sun came out and that’s when the balcony cat watched me with yet another bunch of keys.

No comments: