Friday, August 17, 2007

Moving On

The job is mine!! I want to shout it from the rooftops and dance in the street. However the process was exhausting and I’d like to go to bed for a week. It’s not just getting this job but being out there looking and looking for something that I want that has been exhausting. When a current job falls apart there’s a great temptation to rush out and think anything is going to be better. At one stage I was almost persuaded that a position on the other side of the Westgate Bridge would be okay. I hate long heavy-traffic journeys to work.

So I’ve given in my notice but it looks as if I will be forced to work the full 28 days. Now that is a depressing. I want to wave goodbye to my old job and move on immediately. It is so hard to feel interested or engaged with what is happening now that I know that I’m going to be released. There is sadness to that, too. Before this year I have had a number of very happy years there.

It’s been a good week for my mother. She has progressed to the stage where today she is going to be given a test of physical ability. She is being driven to her home to see if she can cope on her own. One of the tests is make a cup of tea. Level one of this test would be to put a tea bag in a mug and pour on boiling water. My mother’s tea making requires an honours degree. She uses leaf-tea kept in a caddy on a shelf, the teapot needs to be warmed, the tea spooned in and then the pot filled with boiling water. As she only drinks from a cup and saucer both these items have to be assembled before she can pour out. She can eliminate one step because she doesn’t take milk. She has described her moving speed to me and it appears to register only a flicker above stop on a speedometer. The cup of tea will take some time. If she passes this and other yet unknown tests she doesn’t remain in the house she is still to be returned to the hospital. A pass means an ultimate discharge – a failure? Well, I was wondering if the test could be taken again. She says she is sure she can manage and that she will have to because she is more that ready to go home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Extraordinary! Diligent social workers all over NZ putting the elderly through 'motorability' tests. Glad to sneak preview that Chief's back in the driving seat again, and that you are too. With a new job. Perhaps now's the time to take some of the sick leave I'm sure you never got round to. A jaw-clenching headache at the sight of some figures that need analysis yet again. A knee that refuses to let you climb stairs to an attic flat. Tests of the ears because you can't hear the magpies. Wonderful quote from Glover. Wasn't he married to former TV news reader, Barbara Magner at some stage? She had gone back to psychiatric nursing when last I saw her but is probably long retired by now. Publisher, Roger Steele said her old 'fiance' Bill Glass has amassed a fortune in NZ paintings, and he did have very good taste in paintings and women. Cheers,