Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Flat-Packs

The words ‘flat pack’ should be eliminated from our language. I have spent Sunday assembling a bookcase.

A few months ago I gave over an entire long weekend and my living room to assembling two sets of shelving from Bunnings for my shed. The second set should have been easier and quicker but it wasn’t. When I finally got them together I proudly displayed them in their new home and I found that the slightest touch caused the units to move. Someone else tightened the numerous screws for me and I now have my shed organised. The assembly of the metal was damaging to my hands and nails and I vowed not to buy a flat pack again.

This statement is easier to say than to stick by. Everything comes in a flat pack. A lot of research has shown me that a set of white books shelves is only available in a flat pack.
Ikea was my first choice but I live outside the delivery circle so delivery was going to cost more the flat pack. I measured for the car but the pack was too wide.

The ones I assembled came from Fantastic Furniture and they were maneuvered into the car and strapped into the fully reclining front seat as if they were a passenger. The quality is not great but I have finally got them assembled. Assembly has to be done on the floor. They suggest laying out each piece as if it was a jigsaw puzzle so a space had to be cleared to allow this to happen. For the rest of the day I crawled around the floor with my hammer and screwdriver. I won’t say never again but I will be very wary of anything that says ‘self-assembly”. I have booked a massage. I ache from the body contortions and I have realized that I can have two massages for the price of the Ikea delivery.

Now that I have sorted out my books I find that I need another set. The shelves look good and there is a space that is just right for a second set …………….

No comments: