Monday, November 19, 2007

Cat -S


My cat S and I have been having a tranquil and mutually enjoyable relationship over the last few months. I give her two tablets a day, she swallows them, I open a can of cat food and she eats it.

Back in May (see my blog dated May 26th 2007. and blogs in June) she almost died then rallied and began to eat again. She slept and ate her way through the remaining days of winter and into spring.

Summer is now upon us and she is sliding backwards and looks to have given up eating once again.

This weekend she has turned down the special ‘heart-smart mince’ I go out of my way to buy for her because she once considered it a treat.

The stock of tins I have in the cupboard no longer contains any thing that she wants to eat. Even a long time favourite, Jellimeat, has been turned down. I put it on the plate and went outside to lounge in the summer warmth. She followed me out, sat down on the step, narrowed her eyes, fixed the slits on me and gave a demanding “Wow”.

Jellimeat is no longer something to be swallowed. Eventually I got up and checked the cupboard. Flaked trout, another long time favourite was available. I put some of that on her plate. She nibble a little and then went back to bed.

When I rang my mother on Sunday I mentioned this and she reminded me that her mother, a farmer’s wife who always had a house cat, said that her cats always lost condition during the heat of the summer. I hope my Grandmother’s words are true for S too because it has been very hot here over the last week or so.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How would S go on fresh fish? Not quite raw fish. My Japanese friends swear by Coley (frozen) in little chocolate bar pieces. Very cheap. I have fed their cats. Coley slab is placed on baking tray and goes in the oven just long enough to unfreeze it and cook it beyond absolute rawness. Cats eat it in a trice. When I was looking after different cats in summer, I arrived after they had both got a virus. Yuk. It was onto fresh chicken, steamed and shredded, so along with their pills (sandwiched neatly inbetween small mouth size morsels after a couple of battles to force-feed them), they kept eating. On recovery, two very indignant cats rebelled briefly over being faced with Felix... but heck, they were better.