Monday, January 14, 2008

Lavender Farm Daylesford - Mentor




A beautiful day and a beautiful Lavender farm. The Lavender farm is called Lavendula and is outside Daylesford in Victoria. It has the quaint address of, 350 Hepburn-Newstead Road, Shepherds Flat. The road has a couple of farm houses but there is no way of checking a number. The farm is identified from the road with a large sign.

I seldom leave Melbourne – the city is my stamping ground. The people I was with said it felt as if we had stepped into France or Italy. The smell of Lavender was everywhere and the day was enhanced by stunningly tender steak and chip potatoes cooked on an outdoor wood fired kiln and washed down with an Italian style local wine. We ate this under a canopy of shady trees. Grape vines wound their way around veranda poles and we looked through bunches of fattening grapes to view the geese. They weren’t fenced in. They just seemed to want to stay in ‘their spot’. This is an arts and craft area of Victoria where many artists live and there were stalls displaying their work.

One of our party was rekindling a dream she has about living in the country and how she could make it happen. I mulled over my goals and achievements as I sat in the dappled sunlight. I still haven’t got this sorted but I did realize that there were a number of tasks around the house I have talked about doing but haven’t started and I think getting them done may be a way to begin. That is: Stop Procrastinating!

I felt the presence of a dear friend. She does that sometimes: pop into my consciousness. When she was alive I had the warmth of her presence and now I have the legacy that she left. She is a mentor for so many things. She didn’t procrastinate!

There is so much about her that I admired and benefited from. She came to mind while I thought of tasks not completed or even started. Was it the French feel – she was a great Francophile? Or do people come back to us to jog us along? I’m never sure about this.

I am beginning this week with a list of tasks to get under way and positive vibes from her to motivate me to get started. I have already made progress on two of them!!

The sight and the smell of Lavender have stayed with me.








No comments: